Wednesday, December 9, 2009

authinfo.gpg caused Emacs error "Args out of range: "", 0

You may encounter the followinf error if you follow the instructions in
Emacs *info* auth-source, and generate an .authinfo.gpg file in your
home directory.

Passphrase for symmetric encryption: error in process filter: Args out
of range: "", 0

This didn't happen until recently when I ran gnus in daemon mode, and it
only happened if I start it with a sh script like this:

#! /bin/sh

# run gnus in background

gnus_server()
{
emacs --daemon=gnus \
-eval "(gnus)"
}

Everthing would work well if I start the Emacs daemon first, and M-x
gnus then.

The solution is simple, yet cost me over hours to find it out:

mv .authinfo.gpg .authinfo

or, rm .authinfo.gpg

if you did a cp in the past.

I think this maybe a bug included in the recent updates, as it didn't
happened when I ran that same sh script before I updated to Ubuntu 9.10.

No comments: