Wednesday, August 26, 2009

[drm:i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR* trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe 0

This is about how to solve a frame buffer problem I encountered after
upgrading to the 2.6.28-15-generic kernel. Last week I enabled the frame buffer
in my grub menu.lst to use the very fast fbterm(a Chinese console
environment, better than zhcon), with the following options:

vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3

At that time, everything worked well, and I really enjoyed the many
features of fbterm: display ttf font, Chinese and any other double width
characters, as well as the scrollback history.

However, after I upgraded to the latest kernel 2.6.28.15-generic in
through Ubuntu's apt, I found the console couldn't work any
longer. After the GRUB menu, everything disappeared and nothing showed
until the very late stage, when X desktop stared. If I get out to
the console with Ctrl+Alt+F1, it is still blank, and I found the
following message in dmesg every time I tried to invoke the console:

[drm:i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR* trying to get vblank count for
disabled pipe 0

A quick google gave no answer to my question, and a test of booting with
the previous 2.6.28-14 kernel didn't help either. So it's not a problem
with the upgrade, and there must be something wrong with my
configuration, but I am sure I didn't change any of the system files.

...

The resolution of this problem finally came when I was checking the vga
opinions, and thought of the vesafb module. Was it loaded?

lsmod | grep fb

told me the answer, and after I load vesafb with the command:

modprobe vesafb

MY CONSOLE IS BACK!

I think the kernel should load it automatically as the options given is
clear, but it didn't. No matter how, I add the it in /etc/modules, and
hope it will solve this problem.

--------------------
UPDATE:

Found the source of the problem, in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf

to solve the problem, just comment out the line of vesafb.

--------------------
UPDATE2:

It's not the blacklist, change it won't help. it's the mtrr option,
it should be:

vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:1

No comments: